Monday, September 19, 2011

Blog 4 Due 9/20

For my topic I want to examine five movie posters. I want to look at the five films that revolve around the new Avengers film which comes out in May. I think it would be kind of cool to see how they differ and relate as they are all leading up to this one movie, yet each of these films stands alone. Kind of neat since it’s never been done before. So the first three would be:
1. Captain America
http://images.hollywood.com/site/cap_poster.jpg
2 .Thor
http://www.loiteringlion.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/thor-movie-poster1.jpg
3. Iron man
http://i.clevver.com/fullphoto/77378/500/950/iron-man-movie-poster-1.jpg
The last two (while I know we don’t need them on this blog I felt I might as well since I know the others) would be :
4. Iron man 2 http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z25/Roby_030/iron-man-2-poster.jpg   
5. Incredible Hulk http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.moviefone.com/media/2008/04/hulk-(2).jpg
Looking at the first three texts, I find that Thor and Iron Man have the most similar elements. They both have a prominent bluish tint and both posters show the other characters in the movie besides the lead. Captain America is focused solely on Captain America. Also Thor and Iron Man have a cleaner look to them while Captain America is dirty and gritty. All three do have a similar color scheme of red and blue. These differences and similarities may have to do with what the story is about. Interestingly, Thor and Captain America is the only ones to have a tagline. Also while Thor and Iron Man have their titles on the poster, Captain America does not. It has a version of one of its titles “Avenge”, but still does not directly state it. It seems to assume that the audience will already know what the film is without a title perhaps showing which audience the film is aiming at. Imagining that I have never seen these movies before (I actually have…) the posters would suggest that Captain America focuses solely on him, the secondary characters are not as important as he is while the Thor and Iron Man posters make it seem like the supporting characters are important on their own. They can stand separately from their main counterparts. The red and blue color schemes seem to be tying the three movies together. Knowing that all three will be together in the Avengers, this little detail adds a link and a hint at what is to come.  

3 comments:

  1. This is a good start to analyzing your text because we have done similar ones in class and I can see you're on the right track for your website. I'm guessing you are strictly looking at the image standpoint of the movie posters rather than the posters along with the storyline of the movies. I have not seen all of the movies, but it would help to have enough back story of the films to make your analysis. I know that this is just the preliminary run of analyzing texts, but remember to hit all of the sections (audience, color, proximity, etc.) in your website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your idea sounds very interesting and a lot of fun to do! You have a great start to this project and good analysis started. I would also have to agree with Haley that maybe not everyone has seen these movies so maybe remember to include a small space for background information to go along with your site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this idea and think you're on the right track. A brief summary of the films, if for no other reason than to identify the rhetorical situation, will be useful (as haley and allyson say). I look forward to seeing your project!

    ReplyDelete